Friday, March 28, 2014

Selling in a Facebook Group

Leslie read my post  - Can A Yard Sale Be More Profitable Than a Show?     She wrote in a reply that was soooo good, I felt it deserved to be a post.  I agree wholeheartedly with everything she said -


Interesting idea. I do a sale twice a year that started out small (similar to what you are describing), but has turned into a large show with lots of followers and booths.



I also wanted to mention selling in Facebook Groups. I have found HUGE success with this. In our area we have large Facebook consignment groups. They are full of people who wouldn't dare stop at a garage sale and who would never think to step foot in an antique mall, but have desires to do all of those cool Pinterest projects. 

My goal is to sell "Junque with a Dream". For example... I have a vintage window that has had the glass broken out of it (or maybe I picked it up on the side of the road that way)- I would post a picture of the item and say something like "Vintage window frame. This would be adorable as a message board with chicken wire and clothes pins- $18". No joke, people will beat my door down... And you better believe that when they show up to pick it up there is a piece of chicken wire sitting not far away that they will usually ask about... "oh that old thing, you can have it for $5". I didn't have to deal with doing the project or taking it to my booth and I made the sale quick and easy. I can't tell you how many BROKEN things I have sold... Not saying that it is BROKEN, but saying something like "Not in working order". I sold a vintage pedal car that didn't work, with the dream of turning it into a planter box.

I still have my booth and love it, but I have found that during the summer months I make WAY more selling on Facebook than I do in my booth.

I love it!   I belong to a similar group.  I also belong to a group for dealers to sell back and forth to each other.  Both groups are great.  I highly recommend looking for similar groups in your area.

PS - Leslie, THANKS SO MUCH for taking the time to offer this great advice.  This is just the kind of thing I hoped would happen with this site.  I am one person with one set of experiences.  As more dealers chip in, this site will really become such a great resource for us all!