Friday, December 13, 2013

Introducing - Vintage Show Off

I've been a booth vendor for a few years.  That's about to come to a screeching halt in 18 days.  I'm closing my booth to focus on the promoting end of the business.  I love to figure out the best way to show off and market vintage items.



I have been promoting online (mostly on Facebook, but also on Craigslist and a blog) for a fun vintage mall in GA for almost the entire time I had a booth there. I'll continue doing that after my booth closes.

I mention the promoting because that gave me the opportunity to study and learn from other vendors in a way few people get to do.  I have tracked what sells and what doesn't and spent lots of time trying to figure out the psychology behind booth sales.  I am constantly trying to figure out why things sell from some booths and similar items are ignored in others.  I have studied which booths customers are drawn in to and which booths they usually walk past.  When vendors ask me for advice, I usually have plenty to say.  No one ever accused me of being too quiet.

I have wanted to figure out a way to help vendors for ages - not just the ones at the store I promote - vendors all over.  



Hopefully, this blog (and the accompanying Facebook page) will become the VENDOR resource I envision.  Being a booth vendor is hard work.  Many customers assume that vendors are laughing all the way to the bank. Nothing could be further from the truth.  Very few vendors earn a decent wage.  (I have several posts planned on that topic!)

Most vendors are in the business because they love it.  I was in the biz, knowing full well I could make more money elsewhere, as a way to make a little money while I decorated my house from vintage finds AND simply to have fun. I shopped for my home while I shopped for my booth!  :-D  Whatever the reason YOU are doing it (or thinking about doing it), you might as well be successful!  I hope I can help.

I don't claim to know it all. I don't claim to be able to make anyone rich. I DO CLAIM that I will do my darned best to share plenty of tips and inspiration for running a successful booth. As this page (and its companion Facebook page) builds, I am hoping that other vendors will post tips as well. I have a funny feeling that this could turn out to be, as Martha would say, "a very good thing"! If you're a vendor, I sure hope you'll come along for the ride!

Sign up for the email list so you don't miss a post!

Update:  After a number of inquiries about my use of the words "screeching halt" and why I wanted to close my booth, I wrote  THIS POST.